The closing of polling stations around the Omaha area has sparked an important discussion about assumptions related to auto accessibility. Not everyone in Omaha has access to a car—either by necessity or choice—to get to polling stations, buy groceries, get their kids to school, or get to work. Based on 2010 American Community Survey (ACS) data for the City of Omaha, 15,208 households – 10% of all households in the City – have no auto access (see below map). As the Baby Boomer population ages and younger generations and others choose less auto-centric lifestyles, setting policies and practices that assume auto ownership is increasingly problematic. We need to make public and other modes of transportation a viable option for everyone so they can easily vote, shop, learn and work.
Mode Shift Omaha advocates for transportation options that enhance quality of life and opportunities to live, work, and play.
We Need YOUR Help
Please help us achieve our mission. You can make a donation to us via the Omaha Gives website anytime. Thank you!
- KANEKO's Bike Night interview at 4 October 9, 2015 at 3:30 pm – 8:00 pm KANEKO, 1111 Jones St More info at: http://thekaneko.org/kaneko-programs/kaneko-bike-night/
- Leavenworth St Bike Route Focus Group October 13, 2015 at 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm UNMC More info at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/leavenworth-midtown-bike-route-focus-group-tickets-18747451131
- Omaha by Design 10-Speed October 14, 2015 at 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm Pizza Shoppe, Benson More info at: https://www.facebook.com/events/526040437548095/
- Mode Shift Board October 14, 2015 at 7:15 pm – 8:30 pm OBC
Sign up for Email List
Click here to subscribe to our periodic emails about events, action items, and news.
- The The State Highway Commission & Nebraska Dept of Roads seek public input at a meeting scheduled for Oct 23,... fb.me/7Fz7ufAx7 9 hours ago
- RT @NDOR: Looking for a way to give input to NDOR in District 2? Attend the Hwy Comm Meeting on Oct 23 in #oma. More info: http://t.co/oTf0… 9 hours ago
- RT @redcloud_scribe: Good news from North Omaha: A former housing project will soon become a mixed-use, mixed-income neighborhood. http://t… 10 hours ago