Mode Shift Omaha’s mission is to advocate for transportation options that enhance quality of life and opportunities for everyone to live, work, and play.We achieve our mission through education and engagement with members and the public, influencing policies and decision-making related to transportation and land use design, and monitoring transportation policies and plans and their implementation.
Some of our key projects and advocacy work include:
- Monitoring and sharing information about local transportation-related projects in Omaha, such as the Benson Streetscape Project.
- Promoting transparency in the transportation decision-making process, especially through our Transparency Project.
- Conducting research, such as through our Safe Crossings Project.
- Engaging members in advocacy efforts, such as through the collaborative Commuter Tutor Program and Sidewalk Removal Campaign.
- Organizing events that support transportation options, such as the Heyday on May Day and Bike/Ped Coordinator Rally.
- Collaborating with organizations such as Live Well Omaha, Omaha by Design, Omaha Bikes, Rail Nebraska, Nebraska Bicycling Alliance, and Restoration Exchange Omaha to raise awareness or advocate about transportation issues.
- Serving on city and regional government committees to ensure biking, walking and transit are part of the discussion.
- Speaking to neighborhood associations and other community groups about transportation and urban design issues.
- Assisting in organizing the biannual Citizens’ Academy for Omaha’s Future, to help participants learn about built environment of Omaha.
- Holding interesting and informative discussions with leaders in the city and region through monthly Coffee Chats and Member Meetings.
- Writing locally-focused blog posts featuring important issues, such as our Bus Rapid Transit series.